Mon Feb 20 11:24:44 CST 2012

2012/2/19 Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io>
> wrote:
>
> > We will need to see examples of what Mark is talking about and clarify
> some
> > of the compiler issues.   Certainly there is some risk that once code is
> > written that it will be tempting to just use it.   Other approaches are
> > certainly worth exploring in the mean-time, but C++ has some strong
> > arguments for it.
>
> The worry as I understand it is that a C++ rewrite might make the
> numpy core effectively a read-only project for anyone but Mark.  Do
> you have any feeling for whether that is likely?

Some of us are C developers, other are C++. It will depend on the
background of each of us.

> How would numpylib compare to libraries like eigen?  How likely do you
> think it would be that unrelated projects would use numpylib rather
> than eigen or other numerical libraries?  Do you think the choice of
> C++ rather than C will influence whether other projects will take it
> up?

I guess that the C++ port may open a door to change the back-end, and
perhaps use Eigen, or ArBB. As those guys (ArBB) wanted to provided a
Python interface compatible with Numpy to their VM, it may be interesting
to be able to change back-ends (although it is limited to one platform and
2 OS).

--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Blog: http://matt.eifelle.com