[Numpy-discussion] is there an efficient way to get a random set of subsets/combinations?

Yaroslav Halchenko lists@onerussian....
Mon Feb 20 22:35:50 CST 2012

Hi to all Numeric  Python experts,

could not think of a mailing list with better fit to my question which might
have an obvious answer:

straightforward (naive) Python code to answer my question would be
something like

import random, itertools
n,p,k=100,50,10  # don't try to run with this numbers! ;)
print random.sample(list(itertools.combinations(range(n), p)), k)

so the goal is to get k (non-repeating) p-subsets of n, where n and p
prohibitively large to first populate the full set of combinations.

Thank you in advance ;-)