[Numpy-discussion] Possible roadmap addendum: building better text file readers

Erin Sheldon erin.sheldon@gmail....
Sun Feb 26 18:26:03 CST 2012

Excerpts from Erin Sheldon's message of Sun Feb 26 17:35:00 -0500 2012:
> Excerpts from Warren Weckesser's message of Sun Feb 26 16:22:35 -0500 2012:
> > Yes, thanks!   I'm working on a mmap version now.  I'm very curious to see
> > just how much of an improvement it can give.
>
> FYI, memmap is generally an incomplete solution for numpy arrays; it
> only understands rows, not columns and rows.  If you memmap a rec array
> on disk and try to load one full column, it still loads the whole file
> beforehand.

I read your message out of context.  I was referring to interfaces to
binary files, but I forgot your only working on the text interface.

Sorry for the noise,
-e
--
Erin Scott Sheldon