[Numpy-discussion] Possible roadmap addendum: building better text file readers

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Mon Feb 27 14:44:08 CST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 27.02.2012 20:43, Alan G Isaac kirjoitti:
>> On 2/27/2012 2:28 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
>>> ISO specifies comma to be used in international standards
>>> (ISO/IEC Directives, part 2 / 6.6.8.1):
>>>
>>> http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&objId=10562502&objAction=download
>>
>> I do not think you are right.
>> I think that is a presentational requirement:
>> rules of presentation for documents that
>> are intended to become international standards.
>
> Yes, it's an requirement for the standard texts themselves, but not what
> the standard texts specify. Which is why I didn't think it was so
> relevant (but the wikipedia link just prompted an immediate [citation
> needed]). I agree that using something else than '.' does not make much
> sense.

I suppose if anyone out there is from a country that uses commas for
decimals in CSV files and does not want to have to convert them before
reading them will be keen to volunteer to help with the coding.  I am
certainly glad it is not my own case,

Best,

Matthew