Tue Feb 28 15:52:56 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn <
d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio.no> wrote:

> On 02/28/2012 11:05 AM, John Hunter wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com
> > <mailto:cournape@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     There are better languages than C++ that has most of the technical
> >     benefits stated in this discussion (rust and D being the most
> >     "obvious" ones), but whose usage is unrealistic today for various
> >     reasons: knowledge, availability on "esoteric" platforms, etc… A new
> >     language is completely ridiculous.
> >

> > I just saw this for the first time today: Linus Torvalds on C++
> > (http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/c++/linus).  The post is from 2007 so
> > many of you may have seen it, but I thought it was entertainng enough
> > and on-topic enough with this thread that I'd share it in case you
> haven't.
> >

> > The point he makes:
> >
> >    In other words, the only way to do good, efficient, and system-level
> and
> >    portable C++ ends up to limit yourself to all the things that
> > are basically
> >    available in C
> >
> > was interesting to me because the best C++ library I have ever worked
> > with (agg) imports *nothing* except standard C libs (no standard
> > template library).  In fact, the only includes external to external to
> > itself are math.h, stdlib.h, stdio.h, and string.h.
> >
> > To shoehorn Jamie Zawinski's famous regex quote
> > (http://regex.info/blog/2006-09-15/247). "Some people, when confronted
> > with a problem, think “I know, I'll use boost.”   Now they have two
> > problems."
>

> In the same vein, this one neatly sums up all the bad sides of C++.
>
> (I don't really want to enter the language discussion. But this list is
> a nice list of the cons, and perhaps that can save discussion time
> because people don't have to enumerate those reasons again on this list?)
>
> http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html

Heh, I was hoping for something good, but that was kinda unfair. OK, so C++
isn't JAVA or C# or Python, no garbage collection or introspection or
whatever, but so what. Destructors are called as the exception unwinds up
the call stack, etc. That list is sort of the opposite end of the critical
spectrum from Linus (C++ does too much) and is more like a complaint that
C++ doesn't walk the dog. Can't satisfy everyone ;)

<snip>

Chuck.