[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.7.0 release?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers@googlemail....
Fri Jan 6 09:15:09 CST 2012


On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralf,
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Ralf Gommers <
>> ralf.gommers@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It's been a little over 6 months since the release of 1.6.0 and the NA
>>> debate has quieted down, so I'd like to ask your opinion on the timing of
>>> 1.7.0. It looks to me like we have a healthy amount of bug fixes and small
>>> improvements, plus three larger chucks of work:
>>>
>>> - datetime
>>> - NA
>>> - Bento support
>>>
>>> My impression is that both datetime and NA are releasable, but should be
>>> labeled "tech preview" or something similar, because they may still see
>>> significant changes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>>
>>> There's still some maintenance work to do and pull requests to merge,
>>> but a beta release by Christmas should be feasible. What do you all think?
>>>
>>>
>> I'm now thinking that is too optimistic. There are a fair number of
>> tickets that need to be looked at, including some for einsum and the
>> iterator, and I think the number of pull requests needs to be reduced. How
>> about sometime in the beginning of January?
>>
>>
> Yes, it certainly was. Besides the tickets and pull requests, we also need
> the support for MinGW 4.x that David is looking at. If that goes smoothly
> then the first week of January may be feasible, otherwise it'll have to be
> February (I'm traveling for most of Jan). Or someone else has to volunteer
> to be the release manager for this release.
>

There isn't really much progress here. Besides a few smaller issues that
still need attention, I think the MinGW 4.x issue is a blocker and needs to
be resolved. This can be done either by making it work, or deciding to
stick with 3.x. In the latter case numpy.datetime should be fixed somehow.

For the next three weeks I'm traveling and won't be able to do any work on
numpy. I propose to keep master in a state that's (close to being)
releasable until the blocker issue is resolved and we can create a 1.7.x
branch.

Ralf
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/attachments/20120106/247cdb28/attachment.html 


More information about the NumPy-Discussion mailing list