[Numpy-discussion] np.zeros(2, 'S') returns empty strings.

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Sat Jan 14 18:21:55 CST 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@ou.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root@ou.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This sort of makes sense, but is it the 'correct' behavior?
>>>
>>> In [20]: zeros(2, 'S')
>>> Out[20]:
>>> array(['', ''],
>>>       dtype='|S1')
>>>
>>> It might be more consistent to return '0' instead, as in
>>>
>>> In [3]: zeros(2, int).astype('S')
>>> Out[3]:
>>> array(['0', '0'],
>>>       dtype='|S24')

I would be surprised if zeros is not an empty string, since an empty
string is the "zero" for string addition.
multiplication for strings doesn't exist, so ones can be anything even
literally '1'

>>> a = np.zeros(5,'S4')
>>> a[:] = 'b'
>>> reduce(lambda x,y: x+y, a)
'bbbbb'

>>> a = np.zeros(1,'S100')
>>> for i in range(5): a[:] = a.item() + 'a'
>>> a
array(['aaaaa'],
      dtype='|S100')

just as a logical argument, I have no idea what's practical since last
time I tried to use numpy strings, I didn't find string addition and
went back to double and triple list comprehension.

Josef