[Numpy-discussion] Loading a Quicktime moive (*.mov) as series of arrays

Peter numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co...
Sun Jan 15 13:10:34 CST 2012

Hello all,

Is there a recommended (and ideally cross platform)
way to load the frames of a QuickTime movie (*.mov
file) in Python as NumPy arrays? I'd be happy with
an iterator based approach, but random access to
the frames would be a nice bonus.

My aim is to try some image analysis in Python, if
there is any sound in the files I don't care about it.

I had a look at OpenCV which has Python bindings,
http://opencv.willowgarage.com/documentation/python/index.html
however I had no joy compiling this on Mac OS X
with QuickTime support. Is this the best bet?

Thanks,

Peter