[Numpy-discussion] Loading a Quicktime moive (*.mov) as series of arrays

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Jan 15 13:12:11 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:10, Peter
<numpy-discussion@maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a recommended (and ideally cross platform)
> way to load the frames of a QuickTime movie (*.mov
> file) in Python as NumPy arrays? I'd be happy with
> an iterator based approach, but random access to
> the frames would be a nice bonus.
>
> My aim is to try some image analysis in Python, if
> there is any sound in the files I don't care about it.
>
> I had a look at OpenCV which has Python bindings,
> http://opencv.willowgarage.com/documentation/python/index.html
> however I had no joy compiling this on Mac OS X
> with QuickTime support. Is this the best bet?

I've had luck with pyffmpeg, though I haven't tried QuickTime .mov files:

  http://code.google.com/p/pyffmpeg/

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."