[Numpy-discussion] Download page still points to SVN

Ognen Duzlevski ognen@enthought....
Thu Jan 19 14:14:05 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis@continuum.io> wrote:
>> I'm not even sure how the web-pages get updated at this point.   Does anyone on this list know?    I think it would be a great idea to move to github pages for the NumPy project at least.
>
> We've moved to the following setup with ipython, which works very well
> for us so far:
>
> 1. ipython.org: Main website with only static content, manged as a
> repo in github (https://github.com/ipython/ipython-website) and
> updated with a gh-pages build
> (https://github.com/ipython/ipython.github.com).
>
> 2. wiki.ipython.org: a mediawiki instance we run on a server I
> personally pay for.
>
> 3. archive.ipython.org: static hosting of content such as downloads of
> release candidates, same server as #2.  We also keep main releases
> here as an alternative, but I think most people get the releases from
> pypi these days.
>
> With this setup, the only thing that requires actual ssh access is #3,
> and I simply uploaded the keys of a few developers to that server.
> But having to upload content there is fairly rare, and the large
> majority of content that needs update lives in #1 and #2, both of
> which have access control mechanisms that make job delegation
> extremely easy.
>
> At this point, our only real bottleneck is that I'm still the sole
> release manager so far.  But now that we're hitting a more regular
> release pace I plan to change that soon, and start rotating this job
> too, so it doesn't depend on my time.  We used to release so
> infrequently that this wasn't really an issue, and the 0.11 release
> was so big that I wouldn't foist it on anyone else (it took ~2 weeks
> just to do the release work), but moving forward this job should also
> be easy to delegate and we'll do so soon.
>
> I'm happy to share any other details that may help smooth out the
> workflow for numpy and scipy.  I certainly think that the current
> setup with a very outdated wiki as the main site and a
> new-but-semi-invalid rst one needs fixing; it's kind of a shame to
> have the crown jewels of the scientific python ecosystem with such a
> poor web presence.  But fortunately the problem isn't too hard to fix
> these days (the github machinery really plays a key part in helping
> here).

ipython.org used to live on scipy.org machine - as far as I can tell
the only thing still on the scipy.org machine related to ipython are
the dev and user mailing lists (via mailman) hosted at
projects.scipy.org.

Ognen