[Numpy-discussion] f2py with allocatable arrays

Paul Anton Letnes paul.anton.letnes@gmail....
Tue Jul 3 23:51:29 CDT 2012

On 4. juli 2012, at 02:23, Sturla Molden wrote:

> Den 03.07.2012 20:38, skrev Casey W. Stark:
>>
>> Sturla, this is valid Fortran, but I agree it might just be a bad
>> idea. The Fortran 90/95 Explained book mentions this in the
>> allocatable dummy arguments section and has an example using an array
>> with allocatable, intent(out) in a subrountine. You can also see this
>> in the PDF linked from
>> http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Allocatable+enhancements.
>
> Ok, so it's valid Fortran 2003. I never came any longer than to Fortran
> 95 :-) Make sure any Fortran code using this have the extension .f03 --
> not .f95 or .f90 -- or it might crash horribly.

To be pedantic: to my knowledge, the common convention is .f for fixed and .f for free form source code. As is stated in the link, "..the Fortran standard itself does not define any extension..."

http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/File+extensions

As one example, ifort doesn't even want to read files with the .f95 suffix. You'll have to pass it a flag stating that "yep, that's a fortran file all right".

I use the .f90 suffix everywhere, but maybe that's just me.

Paul