[Numpy-discussion] Looking for the most important bugs, documentation needs, etc.

Tue Jul 10 05:07:02 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Six Silberman <silberman.six@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Some colleagues and I are interested in contributing to numpy. We have
>> a range of backgrounds -- I for example am new to contributing to open
>> source software but have a (small) bit of background in scientific
>> computation, while others have extensive experience contributing to
>> open source projects. We've looked at the issue tracker and submitted
>> a couple patches today but we would be interested to hear what active
>> contributors to the project consider the most pressing, important,
>> and/or interesting needs at the moment. I personally am quite
>> interested in hearing about the most pressing documentation needs
>> (including example code).
>>

> As for important issues, I think many of them are related to the core of
> numpy. But there's some more isolated ones, which is probably better to get
> started. Here are some that are high on my list of things to fix/improve:
>
> - Numpy doesn't work well (or at all) on OS X 10.7 when built with
> llvm-gcc, which is the default compiler on that platform. With Clang it
> seems to work fine. Same for Scipy.
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1951
>
> - We don't have binary installers for Python 3.x on OS X yet. This
> requires adapting the installer build scripts that work for 2.x. See
> pavement.py in the base dir of the repo.
>
> - Something that's more straightforward: improving test coverage. It's
> lacking in a number of places; one of the things that comes to mind is that
> all functions should be tested for correct behavior with empty input.
> Normally the expected behavior is empty in --> empty out. When that's not
> tested, we get things like http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2078.
> Ticket for "empty" test coverage:
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2007
>
> - There's a large amount of "normal" bugs, working on any of those would
> be very helpful too. Hard to say here which ones out of the several hundred
> are important. It is safe to say though I think that the ones requiring
> touching the C code are more in need of attention than the pure Python ones.
>

> I see a patch for f2py already, and a second ticket opened. This is of
> course useful, but not too many devs are working on it. Unless Pearu has
> time to respond this week, it may be hard to get feedback on that topic
> quickly.

Here are some relatively straightforward issues which only require touching
Python code:

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/808
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1968
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1976
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1989

And a Cython one (numpy.random):
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1492

I ran into one more patch that I assume one of you just attached:
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2074. It's important to understand a
little of how our infrastructure works. We changed to git + github last
year; submitting patches as pull requests on Github has the lowest overhead
for us, and we get notifications. For patches on Trac, we have to manually
download and apply them. Plus we don't get notifications, which is quite
unhelpful unfortunately. Therefore I suggest using git, and if you can't or
you feel that the overhead / learning curve is too large, please ping this
mailing list about patches you submit on Trac.

Cheers,
Ralf