[Numpy-discussion] Code Freeze for NumPy 1.7

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Sun Jul 15 21:40:07 CDT 2012

> Bump for: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/351
>

> As requested by njsmith, I gave a more detailed explanation and asked
> the list for input at:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/numpy-discussion@scipy.org/msg38306.html
>
> There was one qualified negative reply and nothing (yet) further. I'd
> appreciate if some other devs could weigh in.

I can see the point of your proposal, but I don't think we can just change the behavior of genfromtxt quite like this.  I'm not an expert on the genfromtxt code, so I don't know if I exactly understand what is changing and what is staying the same.

From the look of the patch, it looks like you are changing the interpretation so that whereas headers used to be allowed in the "first-line" of the comment, they would no longer be allowed like that.  I don't think we can do that, because it breaks code for someone without a path for change.

Now, we could add another keyword (headers=True, for example), that interpreted the first non-commented line as the header line.    Something like that has a much higher chance of getting accepted from my perspective.

Best,

-Travis