[Numpy-discussion] Proposed change in genfromtxt(..., comments='#', names=True) behaviour

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Mon Jul 16 16:39:33 CDT 2012

I don't really have any deep issue with `skip_header=True`, besides not really liking having an argument whose type can vary. But that's only a matter of personal taste. And yes, we could always check the type…

> Pierre, for a line "# A B C #1 #2 #3" the user gets six columns 'A',
> 'B', 'C', '#1', '#2', '#3', which is messy but what they deserve for
> using such messy input :)

OK, we're on the same page.

> Also, if you look closely, the use of index()
> you propose is equivalent to my current code, just more verbose.

I'm not convinced by line 1353: unless you change it to asbyte(comment).join(first_line.split(comments)[1:])
you gonna lose the '#', aren't you ? With the 'index' way, we just pick the first one, as intended. But it's late and multitasking isn't really working for me now.

> Tom, in my branch I rewrote the documentation for the `names` kwarg in
> an attempt to be more clear, but I agree a documentation example of the
> non-legacy use would go a long way. I've also realized I neglected to
> update the documentation for `skip_header`. I'll do these once there is
> consensus on the value to use.

Good. Don't forget to add some unit-tests too.

> If there was willingness to tolerate a backwards-incompatible change,
> the resulting behaviour would be quite simple and intuitive overall, but
> that's out of my hands.

See, that't the problem here: we can't have any backwards incompatibility, lest we upset users that may not even be on the list. So that's a no-no.
Nevertheless, you're raising some interesting cases, and I'm sure a consensus will be found quite soon.