[Numpy-discussion] Github notifications and trac-to-github migration

Aric Hagberg aric.hagberg@gmail....
Wed Jul 25 20:01:45 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM, Thouis (Ray) Jones <thouis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Thouis,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Thouis (Ray) Jones <thouis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would estimate I'm between a fourth and halfway through the
>>> implementation of the trac-to-github-issues migration code.  The work
>>> lives in at https://github.com/thouis/numpy-trac-migration
>>
>> mmh, I would have thought you're farther ahead... Aric Hagberg
>> (@hagberg) and Jordi Torrents (@jtorrents) of NetworkX fame last
>> weekend completed the trac2github migration for nx, and he said he'd
>> only had to make a few improvements to your code.
>>
>> I'm cc'ing Aric here so he can give us more details, but based on the
>> fact that they were able to successfully migrate nx completely to GH,
>> I would have imagined you'd be much, much closer for numpy/scipy.
>
> Perhaps my estimate was low.  I hadn't done any work with creating
> issues on github (only extracting them from Trac into a form that maps
> onto github issues), but I expect the PyGithub library
> (https://github.com/jacquev6/PyGithub) helps make the rest of the work
> easier.  Glad to hear it helped.
>
>> Their migration looks pretty solid, including all old comments and
>> attachments being correctly linked, cf this one:
>>
>> https://github.com/networkx/networkx/issues/693
>
> Based on that issue, it looks like I wasn't careful enough in temporal
> ordering of comments, not that it's that critical.
>
> Aric, is the code you ended up using available somewhere?

We obviously didn't get all of the details quite right when we
migrated the Trac tickets to Github issues.  We gave ourselves a day
or so at the SciPy sprints to do it and made a best effort.  We would
have never been able to  accomplish what we did without the code Ray
wrote.  Really there wasn't much more to add and we are happy to share
what we wrote (though it is a hack).  I've cc'd Jordi who wrote the
extra code.

Briefly here are some of the issues we encountered - Jordi can
probably add more.

1) We made and applied a mapping from the changeset hashes in our old
repository (Mercurial) to the Git changeset hashes.  This mostly
worked.

2) We didn't make a mapping between the Git issue numbers and the Trac
issue numbers so many of the cross references were wrong.  I recommend
doing that.

3) You are right that many messages will get sent out so considering
the impact of that is worthwhile.

4) Some of the tickets/comments  (maybe 50 of the approx 800 tickets
we converted) had some formatting that broke during conversion.  Jordi
might have some thoughts on how to fix that.

Aric