[Numpy-discussion] bug in numpy.where?

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Fri Jul 27 15:10:31 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Andreas Mueller
<amueller@ais.uni-bonn.de>wrote:

> Hi Everybody.
> The bug is that no error is raised, right?
> The docs say
>
> where(condition, [x, y])
>
> x, y : array_like, optional
>      Values from which to choose. `x` and `y` need to have the same
>      shape as `condition`
>
> In the example you gave, x was a scalar.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Hmm, that is incorrect, I believe.  I have used a scalar before.  Maybe it
works because a scalar is broadcastable to the same shape as any other
N-dim array?

If so, then the wording of that docstring needs to be fixed.

No, I think Christopher hit it on the head.  For whatever reason, the
endian-ness somewhere is not being respected and causes a byte-swapped
version to show up.  How that happens, though, is beyond me.

Ben Root