[Numpy-discussion] Error when multiplying large sparse matrices

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Fri Jun 1 14:40:53 CDT 2012

01.06.2012 20:45, Jeremy Lecoeur kirjoitti:
> I have been using the sparse matrix tools for a while to do all sort of
> things and, using the same code that was working just fine, I now
> encounter a problem when trying . I do have very large sparse matrices
> and when i multiplying them the number of non zeros exceed the max value
> of an intc, which cause indptr to hold negative values. Hence in the
> multiplication function of csr, whenc reating the resulting matrix, i
> get an error as it is not possible to have a negative value for a matrix
> size.
> Am I missing something that would allow me to do that computation ?

Using a larger integer type for the indices is not supported in Scipy at
the moment. It's possible to implement, but needs someone to still do a
bit of work:

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1307