[Numpy-discussion] commit rights for Nathaniel

Tue Jun 5 12:52:40 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Ralf Gommers <
> ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>
> > wrote:

> his
> >>

> >> I'll write a separate post on that asap.

> >> I sincerely hope you don't cut back on your work too much Charles. You
> >> have done an excellent job as "chief maintainer" over the last years.

> push. We
> up
> >>

> >> Assuming he wants them, I am definitely +1 on giving Nathaniel commit
> >> rights. His recent patches and debugging of issues were of high quality
> and
> >> very helpful.
> >>

> > OK, I went ahead and added him whether he wants it or not ;)
>
> Hah. Thanks!
>
> Is there a "committers guide" anywhere? By default I would assume that
> the rules are pretty much -- continue sending pull requests for my own
> changes (unless a trivial typo fix in a comment or something), go
> ahead and merge anyone else's pull request where things seem okay and
> my best judgement is we have consensus, fix things if my judgement was
> wrong? But I don't want to step on any toes...

You can commit your own stuff also if someone signs off on it or it seems
uncontroversial and has sat there for a while. It's mostly a judgement call.

For the commits themselves, the github button doesn't do fast forward or
whitespace cleanup, so I have the following alias in .git/config

getpatch = !sh -c 'git co -b pull-$1 master &&\
           curl https://github.com/numpy/nump/pull/$1.patch|\
           git am -3 --whitespace=strip' -

which opens a new branch pull-nnn and is useful for the bigger commits so
they can be tested and then merged with master before pushing. The
non-trivial commits should be tested with at least Python 2.4, 2.7, and
3.2. I also suggest running the one-file build for changes in core since
most developers do the separate file thing and sometimes fail to catch
single file build problems.

Keep an eye on coding style, otherwise it will drift.

Chuck