[Numpy-discussion] commit rights for Nathaniel

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Tue Jun 5 14:14:35 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Ralf Gommers
>> > <ralf.gommers@googlemail.com>

>> > OK, I went ahead and added him whether he wants it or not ;)
>>
>> Hah. Thanks!
>>
>> Is there a "committers guide" anywhere? By default I would assume that
>> the rules are pretty much -- continue sending pull requests for my own
>> changes (unless a trivial typo fix in a comment or something), go
>> ahead and merge anyone else's pull request where things seem okay and
>> my best judgement is we have consensus, fix things if my judgement was
>> wrong? But I don't want to step on any toes...
>>

> You can commit your own stuff also if someone signs off on it or it seems
> uncontroversial and has sat there for a while. It's mostly a judgement call.

Speaking of which, this pull request has been sitting for a bit,
waiting for your input :-)
  https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/280

> For the commits themselves, the github button doesn't do fast forward or
> whitespace cleanup, so I have the following alias in .git/config
>
> getpatch = !sh -c 'git co -b pull-$1 master &&\
>            curl https://github.com/numpy/nump/pull/$1.patch|\
>            git am -3 --whitespace=strip' -
>
> which opens a new branch pull-nnn and is useful for the bigger commits so
> they can be tested and then merged with master before pushing. The
> non-trivial commits should be tested with at least Python 2.4, 2.7, and 3.2.
> I also suggest running the one-file build for changes in core since most
> developers do the separate file thing and sometimes fail to catch single
> file build problems.

Oops, heh. I don't know how to do the separate file thing, I've just
been running single-file builds :-).

> Keep an eye on coding style, otherwise it will drift.

Thanks!

-n