[Numpy-discussion] commit rights for Nathaniel

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 5 18:22:20 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are other advantages to pulling down the patch. Fixups can be merged
> together, commit comments enhanced, whitespace removed, style cleanups can
> be added, tests can be run, and the PR is automatically rebased. I still
> like fast forward for single commit merges, for larger merges I specify
> no-ff so that things come in as a well defined chunk.

Sure, that's a decision each project can take as it prefers: we've
taken the approach that the person doing the merge does *not* massage
the history as presented in the PR; instead we have submitters fix
things up when deemed necessary (and we help them out a bit with
git-fu if needed).  And for single commit merges, we use the merge
commit as topological evidence that there was review, which is very
useful when looking retrospectively at the project.

But each project must find how it best wants to proceed, I'm only
offering our perspective in case any of it is useful for numpy.  You
guys will cherrypick the pieces that merge cleanly for numpy ;)

Cheers,