[Numpy-discussion] Ubuntu PPA for NumPy / SciPy / ...

Thu Jun 7 16:14:01 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Andreas Hilboll <lists@hilboll.de> wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just noticed that there's a PPA for NumPy/SciPy on Launchpad:
> >>
> >>   https://launchpad.net/~scipy/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Escipy/+archive/ppa>
> <https://launchpad.net/%7Escipy/+archive/ppa>
> >>
> >> However, it's painfully outdated. Does anyone know of its status? Is it
> >> 'official'?

No, it's not. All kinds of distribution mechanisms are dependent on the
initiatives of community members; the only things that can be considered
official (in the sense that they're the main repo or part of a release) is
the Github repo and the pypi and SourceForge tarballs/binaries.

> Are there any plans in revitalizing it, possibly with adding
> >> other projects from the "scipy universe"? Is there help needed?
> >>
> >> Many questions, but possibly quite easy to answer ...
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Andreas.
> > Hi,
> >
> > do you try to install from this PPA? I am using ubuntu 11.04, it's not
> > difficult possibly to install by pip. but this is the only thing I know.
> >
> > chao
>
> Hi, I know it's easy to install by pip. But I know too many people who
> don't want to care about installing software 'by hand'. For those, it
> would be good to have a PPA with the current stable releases of numpy,
> scipy, matplotlib, ipython, pandas, statsmodels, you name them. Many
> desktops in research environments might be running Ubuntu LTS, and in two
> years, noone will want to be stuck with numpy 1.6 without the chance to
> easily (and for a whole network) be up-to-date.
>
> To summarize: I think it would be a valuable addition to the numpy
> community if there were such an up-to-date PPA.

Sounds good. Anyone could maintain such a PPA.

Ralf