[Numpy-discussion] Preferring gfortran over g77 on OS X and other distributions?

Aron Ahmadia aron@ahmadia....
Mon Jun 18 02:47:14 CDT 2012

f2py, by default, seems to prefer g77 (no longer maintained, deprecated,
speedy, doesn't support Fortran 90 or Fortran 95) over gfortran
(maintained, slower, Fortran 90 and Fortran 95 support).

This causes problems when we try to compile Fortran 90 extensions using
f2py on platforms where both g77 and gfortran are installed without
manually switching the compiler's flags.  It is a very minor edit to the
fcompiler/__init__.py file to prefer gfortran over g77 on OS X, and I can
think of almost no reason not to do so, since the Vectorize framework (OS X
tuned LAPACK/BLAS) appears to be ABI compatible with gfortran.  I am not
sure what the situation is on the distributions that numpy is trying to
support, but my feeling is that g77 should not be preferred when gfortran
is available.

Regards,
Aron