[Numpy-discussion] API policy

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Tue Jun 26 14:34:04 CDT 2012

I think we need to update this document:  http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/ApiDeprecation

I don't think this characterizes the opinion of all involved in NumPy development (it is certainly not the way I view our commitment to users).   Incidentally, in the migration from Trac we should move all pages like this from Trac to Github pages or some other location.

The idea that APIs should disappear after one minor release really needs to be re-visited -- especially if there is a strong interest in changing the APIs as there has been in the move from 1.5.x to 1.6 and then from 1.6 to 1.7.    This created a situation where a large number of people who did not take the 1.6.x upgrade could potentially have APIs that disappear.

Most open source projects do not change APIs that rapidly.  One example:  OpenGL supported every entry point for 17 years prior to OpenGL 3.0   At the very least APIs, can raise warnings, they can be moved to a legacy headers location, etc, but we are not doing anyone a service by having their code stop working.  It frustrates users and makes people hesitate about adopting our library as a dependency.

Thanks,

-Travis