[Numpy-discussion] Created NumPy 1.7.x branch

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio...
Tue Jun 26 15:06:30 CDT 2012

On 06/26/2012 09:51 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

>> Exactly.
>>
>>     I don't
>>     feel responsible for this issue (except I maybe should have pushed
>>     more strongly about datetime being included),
>>

>> I think you left out a 'not'. I don't mean to imply that you were in
>> anyway the blame. And you have been pretty adamant about not allowing
>> late merges of large bits of code since then. It falls in the lessons
>> learned category.
>>
>>     but I am also not
>>     interested in making a big deal out of it, certainly not two years
>>     after the fact. I am merely point this out so that you realize that
>>     you may both have a different view that could be seen as valid
>>     depending on what you are willing to highlight.
>>
>>     I suggest that Chuck and you take this off-list,
>>

>> I don't think there is much more to say, although I would suggest
>> Travis be more careful about criticising previous work, ala
>> 'gratuitous', 'not listening', etc. We got 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 out
>> without any help from him, and I think we did a pretty damn good job
>> of working with the community and improving the code in the process.
>
> Wow! Again, your attitude surprises me and I can't just let a public
> comment like that go unaddressed. Not *any* help from me. Is that really

I hereby call you out!, per your comment earlier :-)

Something the Sage project does very well is meeting often in person
(granted, that's a lot easier to pull off for academics than people who
have real work to be done). In my experience getting to know somebody
better in person does wonders to email clarity -- one needs to know how
somebody else's mind works to be able to read their emails well, and
that's better picked up in person.

Cython's had one workshop, and it did improve discussion climate.

(And I don't think a SciPy conference, brawl or not, is a good
replacement for an honest NumPy developer workshop to a nice cottage *by
invitation only*, there's too much stuff going on, and too little
undivided attention to one another.)

Dag