[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.7 release delays

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Jun 26 21:07:26 CDT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you use anything else besides Travis CI?
>
> Yes, we use both Shining Panda and Travis CI:
>
> https://jenkins.shiningpanda.com/ipython/
> http://travis-ci.org/#!/ipython/ipython
>
> The SP setup is more complete, including Mac and Windows bots.
>
>> I donated money to them and they enabled pull request
>> testing for SymPy and it's invaluable. We also use
>> our custom sympy-bot (https://github.com/sympy/sympy-bot) to test pull
>> request, but now
>> when Travis can do that, we might just use that.
>
> We have a version of that: after Aaron Meurer gave us an invaluable
> and detailed report on how you guys used it, Thomas Kluyver built for
> us our new test_pr script:
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/tools/test_pr.py
>
> which we regularly use now in most PRs, e.g.:
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/2015#issuecomment-6566387
>
> It has proven to be *extremely* useful.
>
> This is some of the infrastructure that I hope we'll gradually start
> using across all the projects (the topic of some of the threads in the
> numfocus list).  In IPython, our ability to rapidly absorb code has
> improved tremendously in part thanks to the smooth workflow these
> tools give us; just in the month of June we've merged 116 PRs totaling
> over 400 commits:
>
> (master)dreamweaver[ipython]> git log --oneline --since 2012-06-01 |
> grep "Merge pull request" | wc -l
> 116
>
> (master)dreamweaver[ipython]> git log --oneline --since 2012-06-01 | wc -l
> 438
>
> There's no way to keep that pace unless we can really trust our
> testing machinery to let us know what's safe by the time we get to
> code review.
>
> As our tools mature, I really hope we'll start using them more across
> different projects, because the benefit they provide is undeniable.

We (nipy'ers) are heavy users of numpy and scipy.

We use travis-ci for testing individual commits to personal repos:

https://github.com/nipy/nibabel/blob/master/.travis.yml

(using standard travis-ci python test machinery, multiple python versions)

https://github.com/nipy/dipy/blob/master/.travis.yml
https://github.com/nipy/nipy/blob/master/.travis.yml

(using a hack to test against a system python, to avoid multiple
compiles of numpy / scipy).  We've also been discussing numpy / scipy
compiles on the Travis-CI mailing list :
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/travis-ci/uJgu35XKdmI/discussion.

For the main repos we use buildbot and test on:

Ubuntu Maverick 32-bit
Debian sid 64-bit
OSX 10.4 PPC
OSX 10.5 Intel
Debian wheezy PPC
Debian squeeze ARM (a Raspberry PI no less)
WIndows XP 32 bit
SPARC (courtesy of our friends at NeuroDebian)

http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders

We've found several issues with numpy using these, and I've fed them
back as I found them,

http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2076
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2077
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/2174

They are particularly useful for difficult to reproduce problems
because they test often and leave a record that we can point to.  As
I've said before, y'all are welcome to use these machines for numpy
builds / tests.

Best,

Matthew