[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.7 release delays

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Wed Jun 27 08:20:24 CDT 2012

> Some examples would be nice. A lot of people did move already. And I haven't
> seen reports of those that tried and got stuck. Also, Debian and Python(x,
> y) have 1.6.2, EPD has 1.6.1.

In my company, the numpy for our production python install is well
behind 1.6.  In the world of trading, the upgrade cycle can be slow,
because when people have production trading systems that are working
and running stably, they have little or no incentive to upgrade.  I
know Travis has been doing a lot of consulting inside major banks and
investment houses, and these are probably the kinds of people he sees
regularly.  You also have a fair amount of personnel turnover over the
years, so that the developer who wrote the trading system may have
moved on, and an upgrade which breaks the code is difficult to repair
because the original developers are gone.  So people are loathe to
upgrade.  It is certainly true that deprecations that have lived for a
single point release cycle have not been vetted by a large part of the
user community.

In my group, we try to stay as close to the bleeding edge as possible
so as to not fall behind and make an upgrade painful, but we are not
the rule.

JDH