[Numpy-discussion] Meta: help, devel and stackoverflow

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Sat Jun 30 14:29:04 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Jim Vickroy <jim.vickroy@noaa.gov> wrote:

> As a lurker and user, I too wish for a distinct numpy-users list.  -- jv

This thread is a perfect example of why another list is needed.  It's
currently 42 semi-philosophical posts about what kind community numpy
should be and what kinds of lists or stacks should serve it.  There needs
to be a place where people can ask simple 'how do I do x in numpy"
questions without having to wade through hundreds of posts about release
cycles, community input, process, and decisions about ABI and API
compatibility in point versus major releases.  Most people just don't care
-- they just want to be reasonably sure that the developers do care and are
doing it right.  And if they want to participate or observe these
discussions, they know where to go.  It's like sausage making -- the more
people get an inside look at how the sausage is made, the more they are
afraid to eat it.

In mpl we have a devel list and a users list.  Preparing for a release, we
might have a hundred emails about PR status and breakers and release cycles
and god knows what.  The users list gets "rc1 is ready for testing", "rc2
is ready for testing" and "v1.1.1 is released".  That's about all most
people want to know about our release process.

JDH