[Numpy-discussion] Meta: help, devel and stackoverflow

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn@astro.uio...
Sat Jun 30 15:05:07 CDT 2012

On 06/30/2012 09:37 PM, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM, John Hunter<jdh2358@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Jim Vickroy<jim.vickroy@noaa.gov>  wrote:
>>>
>>> As a lurker and user, I too wish for a distinct numpy-users list.  -- jv
>>>

>> This thread is a perfect example of why another list is needed.  It's
>> currently 42 semi-philosophical posts about what kind community numpy should
>> be and what kinds of lists or stacks should serve it.  There needs to be a
>> place where people can ask simple 'how do I do x in numpy" questions without
>> having to wade through hundreds of posts about release cycles, community
>> input, process, and decisions about ABI and API compatibility in point
>> versus major releases.
>
> Oh - dear.   I think the point that most of us agreed on was that
> having a different from: address wasn't a perfect solution for giving
> people space for asking newbie type questions.  No-one has to read an
> email.  If it looks boring or silly or irrelevant to your concerns,
> well, then ignore it.

I'd think most users sort different mailing lists into folders/tags/...
automatically, not into their main inbox.

Ignoring an email takes time; if I actually had to read the title of
each thread of all the mailing lists I'm subscribed to it'd cost me a
significant amount of time.

>>   Most people just don't care -- they just want to be
>> reasonably sure that the developers do care and are doing it right.  And if
>> they want to participate or observe these discussions, they know where to
>> go.  It's like sausage making -- the more people get an inside look at how
>> the sausage is made, the more they are afraid to eat it.
>
> Not so in general.  The more I hang out on the cython / sympy /
> ipython mailing lists, the more I feel like using and (if I can)
> contributing.

John specifically says "most people". You (and I) are not "most people".

Dag