[Numpy-discussion] Meta: help, devel and stackoverflow

Geoffrey Oxberry goxberry@gmail....
Sat Jun 30 16:30:57 CDT 2012

Aron Ahmadia <aron <at> ahmadia.net> writes:

> I and Geoff are moderators on scicomp, I'm happy to invest the effort
> in getting the community started there.  One way to use scicomp is like
> a blog/faq, that is, if you get a specific question a lot here on the list or
> elsewhere, you can ask and answer it yourself on scicomp.  If others find
> the post useful, they will vote it and the answer up.
>

> Navel-gazing questions with generic scope are generally discouraged,
> for a good feel for the sort of questions we'd be able to handle from a
> scipy/numpy perspective on scicomp, take a look at either the
> petsc or python tag feeds:
>
> http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/petsc
>
> http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/python
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn <at> astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 06/30/2012 08:44 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> > <d.s.seljebotn <at> astro.uio.no>  wrote:
> >> It is rumored that a problem with some stackexchange sites is the host
> >> of nay-sayers saying that a question doesn't belong here but in this
> >> other silo instead, instead of just letting a culture develop (though my
> >> only interface to stack*.com is Google too so I don't really know).
> >
> > Mmh, interesting... Not being a regular user myself, I have no idea.
> > But it does sound like something worth clarifying before starting to
> > push discussions in that direction.
> Specifically:http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4131462
> But I see that Aron and Andy seem to have some authority on meta.scicomp
> so it can't be too bad on scicomp...?
> Dag_______________________________________________
> NumPy-Discussion mailing listNumPy-Discussion <at>
scipy.orghttp://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion

To follow up on Aron's post, Computational Science Stack Exchange
(http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/) is probably the best currently available
Stack Exchange site for questions about NumPy usage (not NumPy development).

I believe Tim Cera brought up Programmers Stack Exchange
(http://programmers.stackexchange.com/). Programmers Stack Exchange would
not accept NumPy questions, because it would be out of their scope.
Programmers Stack Exchange focuses more on language-agnostic programming
issues; they specifically point out that their site is not for programming
tools. For code-heavy issues, (http://stackoverflow.com/) would be a better
choice.

The Area 51 process to create a NumPy Stack Exchange site will take time
before it could progress to the point that the site is open as a public beta.
For Computational Science Stack Exchange, it took 5 or so months to go from
Area 51 proposal to public beta. In order to move from proposal to beta, the
proposal needs to demonstrate that there will be enough active users to
sustain a site.

For now, I'd suggest posting on Computational Science Stack Exchange,
because we already have a few NumPy questions, and could always use more
questions on NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, and so on.

Geoff