[Numpy-discussion] C++ Example

Tue Mar 6 17:43:17 CST 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:

> Upcoming Cython releases will have a generics system called "fused types".
>
> Sturla
>
> Sendt fra min iPad
>
> Den 6. mars 2012 kl. 23:26 skrev Chris Barker <chris.barker@noaa.gov>:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Luis Pedro Coelho <lpc@cmu.edu> wrote:
> >> At least last time I read up on it, cython was not able to do
> multi-type code,
> >> i.e., have code that works on arrays of multiple types. Does it support
> it
> >> now?
> >
> > The Bottleneck project used some sort of template system to generate
> > multiple type cyton code -- not cython itself, but none the less
> > useful.

I don't see generics as the main selling point of C++ for Numpy. What I
expect to be really useful is exception handling, smart pointers, and RIAA.
And maybe some carefule uses of classes and inheritance. Having a standard
inline keyword will be nice too. But I'm not a modern C++ guru, so I may
have missed a lot of things.

Chuck