[Numpy-discussion] float96 on windows32 is float64?

Thu Mar 15 23:24:29 CDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that float96 on windows 32 bit is a float64
>> padded to 96 bits?
>

> Yes
>

>>  If so, is it useful?
>

> Yes: this is what allows you to use dtype to parse complex binary files
> directly in numpy without having to care so much about those details. And
> that's how it is defined on windows in any case (C standard only forces you
> to have sizeof(long double) >= sizeof(double)).
>

>>  Has anyone got a windows64
>> box to check float128 ?
>>

> Too lazy to check on my vm, but I am pretty sure it is 16 bytes on windows
> 64.

Wait, MSVC doesn't support extended precision, so how do we get doubles
padded to 96 bits? I think MINGW supports extended precision but the MS
libraries won't. Still, if it's doubles it should be 64 bits and float96
shouldn't exist. Doubles padded to 96 bits are 150% pointless.

Chuck