[Numpy-discussion] float96 on windows32 is float64?

Benjamin Root ben.root@ou....
Thu Mar 15 23:36:28 CDT 2012

On Thursday, March 15, 2012, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Am I right in thinking that float96 on windows 32 bit is a float64
>>> padded to 96 bits?
>>
>> Yes
>>

>>>  If so, is it useful?
>>
>> Yes: this is what allows you to use dtype to parse complex binary files
directly in numpy without having to care so much about those details. And
that's how it is defined on windows in any case (C standard only forces you
to have sizeof(long double) >= sizeof(double)).

>>>  Has anyone got a windows64
>>> box to check float128 ?
>>
>> Too lazy to check on my vm, but I am pretty sure it is 16 bytes on
windows 64.

> Wait, MSVC doesn't support extended precision, so how do we get doubles
padded to 96 bits? I think MINGW supports extended precision but the MS
libraries won't. Still, if it's doubles it should be 64 bits and float96
shouldn't exist. Doubles padded to 96 bits are 150% pointless.

> Chuck

There is a Microsoft joke in there, somewhere...

Ben Root