[Numpy-discussion] Trouble building NumPy on PPC64

Andreas H. lists@hilboll...
Thu Mar 22 11:49:44 CDT 2012

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Andreas H. <lists@hilboll.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have troube installing numpy in a virtual environment on a SuSE
>> Enterprise 11 server (ppc64).
>>
>> Here is what I did:
>>
>>    curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/virtualenv/master/virtualenv.py
>>    python virtualenv.py --distribute --no-site-packages
>> .virtualenvs/pydoas
>>    source .virtualenvs/pydoas/bin/activate
>>    pip install numpy
>>
>> And here is the outcome:
>>
>>    SystemError: Cannot compile 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to install
>> python-dev|python-devel.
>>
>> However, Python.h exists, because I did install the python-devel
>> package:
>>
>>    (pydoas)hilboll@odin:~/.virtualenvs/pydoas/build/numpy> find
>> /usr/include/ | grep Python.h
>>    /usr/include/python2.6/Python.h
>>
>> I also tried without the --distribute --no-site-packages flags, with the
>> same result.
>>
>> Any hints are very welcome :)
>>

> Hard to say what's going wrong. Perhaps pip is not for python2.6 but
> another python version? Can you install without pip, so normal "python
> setup.py install"? Can you post the full build log?

Thanks for your ideas, Ralf! Actually, it turned out to be a problem with
the gcc installation on the machine I was building on. The sysadmin fixed
that, and now NumPy is running fine :)

Cheers,
A.