[Numpy-discussion] label NA and datetime as experimental

Mon Mar 26 10:42:27 CDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Richard Hattersley
<rhattersley@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My team are currently experimenting with extending datetime to allow
> alternative, non-physical calendars (e.g. 360-day used by climate
> modellers). Once we've got a handle on the options we'd like to
> propose the extensions/changes back to NumPy. Obviously we'd like to
> avoid wasted effort, so are there some aspects of datetime64 which are
> more experimental than others? Is there a summary of unresolved issues
> and/or plans for change?

I believe datetime is already used by Pandas, so I don't think there will
be major changes there. I'm not aware of open issues, but I could be wrong.
The calenders are a bit independent, so I think the best procedure is to go
ahead with your work. We want to leave some wiggle room since new features
often need a little time to mature. That's how it looks to me anyway.

Chuck