[Numpy-discussion] weird searchsorted behavior for unicode array

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Mar 28 10:51:06 CDT 2012


On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Thouis (Ray) Jones <thouis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am seeing some very strange behavior searching a unicode array.  The
> attached code outputs the following:
> UNICODE
> Is sorted: True
> Search sorted by iteration, left: [0, 1, 2, 4, 4, 6, 6, 8, 8, 10, 10,
> 12, 12, 13]
> Search sorted by iteration, right: [0, 2, 2, 4, 4, 6, 6, 8, 8, 10, 10,
> 12, 12, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing, left: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing, right: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11,
> 12, 13, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing with copy, left: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,
> 10, 11, 12, 13, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing with copy, right: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
> 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 13]
>
> If I remove the first print, it produces:
> Is sorted: True
> Search sorted by iteration, left: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13]
> Search sorted by iteration, right: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,
> 11, 12, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing, left: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing, right: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11,
> 12, 13, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing with copy, left: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
> 9, 10, 11, 12, 13]
> Search sorted by indexing with copy, right: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
> 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13]
>
> Neither answer is correct, since left and right should be offset by 1
> when searching for an element in the array, by my reading of the docs.
>
> This is numpy 1.6.1 on OSX 10.6, python 2.7
>
> Am I missing something?

adding this
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

produces consistent results for me
maybe the regex for encoding, but I thought it has to be the first line

Josef


>
> Thanks,
> Ray Jones
>
> _______________________________________________
> NumPy-Discussion mailing list
> NumPy-Discussion@scipy.org
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/numpy-discussion
>


More information about the NumPy-Discussion mailing list