[Numpy-discussion] Use OpenBLAS for the binary releases?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Nov 20 11:22:53 CST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla@molden.no> wrote:
> On 20.11.2012 15:38, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> I support this as well in principle for our binary release: one issue
>> is that we don't have the infrastructure on mac to build an installer
>> with multi-arch support, and we can't assume every mac out there has
>> SSE 3 or 4 available.
>
> Perhaps we could check the CPU architecture at run-time, and then load
> (or install) the correct extension module? OpenBLAS does have functions
> for testing if SSE 3 or 4 are available, which we could adapt:

Doing at runtime would be really hard. On windows, our installer does
it at install time, and openblas should be pretty much the same than
atlas there.

We would need a solution on mac (where I really want to get away from
Accelerate which has a very nasty limitation w.r.t GD vs fork, making
multiprocessing with our official numpy  binary essentially useless).

David