[Numpy-discussion] np 1.7b2 PyArray_BYTES(obj)=ptr fail

Tue Oct 2 10:33:20 CDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Frédéric Bastien <nouiz@nouiz.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if that was raised or not, but in np1.7b2 doing this fail
> with this error message:
>
> PyArray_BYTES(obj)=ptr
>
> file:lne_number:offset: error: lvalue required as left operatnd of
> assignment.
>
> I tried with PyArray_DATA(obj)=ptr and this also fail.
>
> Do you want to remove this feature now? I would think this change will
> be done at the same time as the one related to the macro
> NPY_NO_DEPRECATED_API.
>
> If I missed the discussion about this, tell me.

f2py wants to do the same thing, i.e., change the data pointer of an
existing array, which is why NPY_NO_DEPRECATED_API is not defined in that
module. I had some discussion off list with Pearu about that but it petered
out. I think for this sort of thing is a new function needs to be
implemented. What precisely is your application? IIRC, Pearu was using it
to exchange pointers between two arrays to avoid a copy.

Chuck