[Numpy-discussion] [numpy] ENH: Initial implementation of a 'neighbor' calculation (#303)

Nicolas Rougier Nicolas.Rougier@inria...
Thu Oct 11 04:50:53 CDT 2012

I missed the original post but I personally find this addition especially useful for my work in computational neuroscience.

I did something vaguely similar in a small framework (http://dana.loria.fr/, you can look more specifically at http://dana.loria.fr/doc/connection.html for details). Examples are available from: http://dana.loria.fr/examples.html

The actual computation can be made in several ways depending on the properties of the kernel but the idea is to compute an array "K" such that given an array "A" and a kernel "k", A*K holds the expected result. This also work with sparse array for example when the kernel is very small. I suspect the PR will be quite efficient compared to what I did.

Nicolas