[Numpy-discussion] A change with minor compatibility questions

Wed Oct 17 10:27:40 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:22:28AM -0500, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> There is a small chance this will break someone's code if they relied on this
> behavior.  I don't believe anyone is currently relying on this behavior -- but
> I've been proven wrong before.   What do people on this list think?

I think that the change is acceptable. Thanks for asking!

> Should we raise a warning in the next release when a hash function on a void
> scalar is called or just make the change, put it in the release notes and make
> a few people change their code if needed.

I think that there should be a section in the release notes that list
such changes in a very visible way. I don't think that a warning is
necessary here, but I guess that others might have a different point of
view.