[Numpy-discussion] Contiguity of result of astype changed - intentional?

Travis Oliphant travis@continuum...
Wed Sep 12 15:27:19 CDT 2012

>>> Is this intended?  Is there a performance reason to keep the same
>>> strides in 1.7.0?
>>
>> I believe that this could be because in 1.7.0, NumPy was changed so that copying does not always default to "C-order" but to "Keep-order".    So, in 1.7.0, the strides of b is governed by the strides of a, while in 1.6.1, the strides of b is C-order (because of the copy).
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> So maybe the bottom line is that the user should not assume any
> contiguity from ``astype``?   If that's the case I'll submit a
> docstring PR to say that.

Yes, that would be a great addition to the docstring.   Mark, can you confirm this is the desired behavior?  Ondrej, this would be something to put in the release notes, if it isn't already.

Thanks,

-Trvis