[Numpy-discussion] Views of memmaps and offset

Sat Sep 22 17:15:01 CDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:30:46PM -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
>      As to the 1.7 release, I've been thinking we are violating the release
>      early, release often maxim. Bugs trickle in at a constant rate and if we
>      wait to fix them all we wait forever. So while it would be nice to have
>      this in 1.7.0, I think we should also plan on a 1.7.1 bug fix release a
>      few months after the 1.7.0 release.

Indeed, we are having a hard time releasing early. Maybe the reason is
the massive amount of changes to core behavior in numpy.

The situation here is that a usecase that was working up to 1.6 included
will stop working in 1.7 with no possible workaround. I am biassed
because that usecase is important to me. However, I do find that having a
core package that is such a moving target makes it hard to build upon.

Gaël