[Numpy-discussion] Raveling, reshape order keyword unnecessarily confuses index and memory ordering

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Tue Apr 2 16:23:02 CDT 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I still don't see why order is not a general concept, whether it
>> refers to memory or indexing/iterating.
>
> I agree -- the ordering concept is the same, it's _what_ is being
> ordered that's different. So I say we stick with 'C' and 'F' -- numpy
> users will need to figure out what it means eventually in any case....

I'm not quite sure what you are arguing.  I thought we all agreed that
the index ordering idea is *orthogonal* to the memory layout idea?
Not so?

Cheers,

Matthew