[Numpy-discussion] Please stop bottom posting!!

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker@noaa....
Wed Apr 3 17:00:37 CDT 2013

OK, OK, I know the fashion is to blast people with "please don't top
post" messages -- it seems to have invaded all the mailing lists I'm
on.

But I don't get it.

Most of us have threaded mail readers these days, so is it so hard to
follow a thread?

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but it is FAR more common for me to have been
following a thread, and want to know what the latest comment is, then
drop into the end of a long thread, and want to see the entire
discussion in the most recent post.

So why make me scroll WAY THE HECK down literally  hundreds of lines
to find your one:

"+1"

give me a break! Even if you have something significant and pithy to
say, I still don't want to scroll through all that junk, and layers of
10+ >>>>>>>>>>> to find out the new stuff.

(take a look at a the "Raveling, reshape order ..." thread to see what I mean.

So, while I agree blind top posting is less than Ideal, I actually
like it a bit better than blind bottom posting.

Best of all is intelligent editing of the thread so far -- edit it
down to the key points you are commenting on, and intersperse your
comments. That way your email stands on its own as meaningful, but
there is not a big pile of left over crap to wade through to read your
fabulous pithy opinions....

OK, I've had my rant, carry on!

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov