[Numpy-discussion] timezones and datetime64

Daπid davidmenhur@gmail....
Thu Apr 4 04:20:34 CDT 2013

On 4 April 2013 11:03, Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net> wrote:

> I think that generally the issue is not relevant for any practical use
> of a timebase: there are not many applications requiring sub-second
> accuracy over many years periods.

I agree. I think the basic datetime object should ignore this issue
(properly documented), and leaving room for someone writing a
datetime_leapsecond object, that would be aware of them. Avoiding this
issue we can achieve a better performance and a simpler code base, with
enough functionality for most practical purposes.

Another point that should be noted: as stated earlier, the leap seconds
cannot be predicted, they require a frequent update, making replicability
difficult: the same code in two machines with same numpy version, but
updated at different times can produce different results.