[Numpy-discussion] Raveling, reshape order keyword unnecessarily confuses index and memory ordering

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker@noaa....
Thu Apr 4 16:54:49 CDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Before you answer that -- does anyone see a use case for the 'A' and
>> 'K' flags that can't be reasonably easily accomplished with .view() or
>> asarray() or ???
>
> What order does   a[a>2]  use to create the returned 1-D array?
> However, I never needed to know and never cared
> a[a>2] = 5
> a[a>2] = b[a>2]
>
> Now, after this thread, I know about "K",

does that use case use ravel() or reshape() under the hood?

> and there might be cases
> where it would be appropriate to minimize copying memory,

hmm -- yes, that makes sense, and perhaps compelling enough to keep
them around (at least with perhaps better docs).

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov