[Numpy-discussion] Sources more confusing in Python

Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox....
Sun Apr 7 16:30:14 CDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Steve Waterbury
<waterbug@pangalactic.us> wrote:
> On 04/07/2013 05:02 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Daπid <davidmenhur@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 7 April 2013 16:53, Happyman <bahtiyor_zohidov@mail.ru> wrote:
>>
>>> $pip install numpy # to install package "numpy"
>>
>> as a warning, last I checked pip did not support binary installs  ...
>
> Guess you didn't check very recently ;) -- pip does indeed
> support binary installs.

Binary install in this case means, downloading a pre-built package
containing .so/.dll files -- very useful if you don't have a working C
compiler environment on the system you're installing onto.

-n