[Numpy-discussion] Sources more confusing in Python

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker@noaa....
Mon Apr 8 10:27:31 CDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Steve Waterbury <waterbug@pangalactic.us> wrote:
> Point taken -- just didn't want pip to be sold short.
> I'm one of those spoiled Linux people, obviously ... ;)

I really like pip -- but it is missing what is really a key feature
for Windows (and to a slighltyl lessoe extent, OS-X) -- the ability it
isntall binaries.

As a rule, intstalling binaries is a pain on Linux, but installing
from source is a pain on Windows -- binaroes work really well there.

on OS-X, it's a mixed bag -- there are so many different builds of
Pyton out there that binaries are a real trick -- but compiling form
source can be a pain, too...

while easy_install does support binaries, it never did it right on
OS-X (what with teh "universal binary" problem (that's OS-X's way of
putting multiple binaries in one file-- i.e. PPC and Intel --
easy_install always got confused about what it was supposed to
install) And while PPC is getting to be history, we still have Intel32
and Intel64 to deal with...

So scouring teh web for the binaries you need is still the way to go.

NOTE for OP: for Windows, Christoph Gohlke's repository is a godsend:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

-Chris