[Numpy-discussion] Time Zones and datetime64

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker@noaa....
Wed Apr 10 10:47:51 CDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Colin J. Williams
<cjwilliams43@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
>> Recent discussion has made it clear that the timezone handling in the
>> current (numpy1.7) version of datetime64 is broken. Below is a
>> discussion of some possible solutions, hopefully including most of the
>> comments made on the recent thread on this list.

> Is MxDateTime helpful?
>
> Colin W,

How so? I remember MXDateTime from way back when before pyton had a
datetime in the stdlib. I"m trying to remember why pyton itself didn't
adopt MxDateTime rather make a new one, but I think:

 - The licensing may not have been appropriate
 - MxDateTIme is more ambitious -- the core python devs didn't want to
support the whole thing

These apply to numpy as well.

The goal of python's DateTime is that it be the basis for more
comprehensive DateTime packages, so having numpy work well with it
makes sense.

Anyway, if MxDateTime has good timezone handling, it might be nice if
numpy could allow users to optionally plug that in -- also having an
easy MxDateitme => datetiem64 conversion could be nice.

But we wouldn't want it as a dependency.

If someone wants to take a good look at it and see what lessons we can
learn, that would be great.

(note: I have no idea how compatible MxDateTime and datetime.datetime
are.. that would be nice to know.)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov