[Numpy-discussion] Please stop bottom posting!!

Derek Homeier derek@astro.physik.uni-goettingen...
Fri Apr 12 11:42:20 CDT 2013

On 12.04.2013, at 6:01PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.barker@noaa.gov> wrote:

> Maybe we need a short-hand for "clean up the previous parts of the
> thread to show only what you need to make your post relevant and
> clear"

+1

> Paul Ivanof wrote:
>> ... But I just came across a wonderfully short signature from
>> Rick Moen, and thought I'd pass it along:
>
>> Cheers,             A: Yes.
>> Rick Moen           > Q: Are you sure?
>> rick@linuxmafia     >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>> .com McQ! (4x80)    >>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
>
> This is cute, and makes a good point, but misses the bigger issue:
> most interesting technical threads are not a series of linear, simple
> one-liners. Bottom posting is obviously the way to go for that. They
> are long, with multiple points, and comments on the middle parts, not
> just the end, and different people all commenting on the same post. It
> simply does not end up a neat linear conversation anyway. niether pure
> bottom posting nor pure top posting works well.

Absolutely, I did not intend to suggest posting everything at the bottom of one
monolithic quote (even if shortened), but following the corresponding sub-threads
of the conversation (and tried to give a better example this time ;-).

Cheers,
						Derek