[Numpy-discussion] contributing to numpy

andrew giessel andrew.giessel@gmail....
Wed Apr 17 07:29:25 CDT 2013

First, my apologies if this isn't the right forum for this question- I
looked for a dev list, but couldn't really find it.

I have a small method I'd like to contribute to numpy, ideally as a method
on ndarrays and a general function in the numpy namespace.  I found it on a
stackoverflow thread, and it is a generator that yields slices of a
multidimensional array over a specified axis, which is convenient for use
in list comprehensions and loops.

https://gist.github.com/andrewgiessel/5400659

I've forked the numpy source and am familar with git/pull requests/etc but
the code base is a bit overwhelming.

I have 2 questions:

1)  Is there a document which gives an overview of the numpy source and
perhaps a tutorial on the best way to add methods/functions?

2) is there a current way to do this in numpy?  The only iterator related
stuff I found in a brief search last night was for essentially looping over
all elements of an array, one by one.

best,

Andrew

ps: please feel free to contribute to the gist!

--
Andrew Giessel, PhD

Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School
220 Longwood Ave Boston, MA 02115
ph: 617.432.7971 email: andrew_giessel@hms.harvard.edu